One common concern expressed by our body contouring patients is how to maintain results after undergoing their fat removal procedure. This is a very valid concern. Patients should understand if they gain significant weight after the procedure (liposuction or non-invasive fat removal), fat can be gained and deposited in new and unpredictable areas of the body, especially with liposuction.
A healthy, balanced diet and exercise plan is a must to maintain results seen from a treatment and to maximize the effect of treatment. Some important points to remember are:
1. If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.
2. Exercise alone will not do the trick. You must exercise in conjunction with and proportional to a decrease in the amount of food/calories consumed. Just because you run 5 miles a few times a week does not mean you can eat KFC every day and still expect to loose weight. The right exercise program will vary from individual to individual, but generally it will require anywhere between 30-60 minutes three to five times per week.
3. Drink plenty of water. Avoid store bought flavored waters. If you must have flavored water, try adding some sliced fruit, cucumber, herbs (such as mint) or spices (such as nutmeg or cinnamon sticks), into your jug of water.
4. Watch your meal portion sizes. If you find this difficult (the food tastes so good or you are hungry when you serve the meal) try giving yourself half of your usual serving and then wait 20 minutes, you may find you are not hungry anymore. Decrease the portion size to an amount that lets you eat until you are not hungry anymore, instead of eating until you feel full.
5. Stay away from refined sugar, too much salt, fat and preservatives/additives. This means staying away from packaged, processed or fast foods. Try and prepare as much food at home that you can. Make meals ahead of time and store them in the fridge or freezer. Take a sandwich or salad to work instead of grabbing a burger in your lunch break.
Remember, this is a long term plan, not just for a month or two after your treatment. Stay active, stay healthy, stay hydrated, and make the most of your treatment, you deserve it!